It has been a while since we have posted an update so I thought I would share some of my musings about my time here in Taiwan.
You know you are in Taiwan when......
......you are eating "Western" style pizza that is topped with corn.
......pastries are topped with shredded pork.
......watching a dog (or dogs) ride a scooter with their owners seems "normal".
......you wake up on a Tuesday morning to the sound of fireworks.
.....you see a red light and think, "eh, I could slow down...."
.....you think paying more than the equivalent to $3 US for a meal is expensive.
.....all the people you know can be identified by the first name only.
.....adults and children alike are picking their noses with no shame.
.....a small child is being shoved in your direction by their parents and in a confused daze says,"May I speak English to you?"
You know you are an ESL teacher in Taiwan when........
......you think saying the alphabet backwards is a fun game, and so do your students.
......your students think that "flute" is a sweet kind of food, like an apple or banana.
......your students think "finished" has four syllables - "fee-ni-shuh-ta".
.....you automatically add "ed" to the end of your verbs to make them past tense, i.e. eated, spreaded, etc.
.....you talk to your friends with lots of hand gestures and perfect phonetic pronunciation.
Hope this is a humorous taste of life here in Taiwan. More to come!
Hey Ben! Sarah sent me your blogspot. I've been following, but haven't posted before. Alexander is in Italy right now. Sarah is in Austin. Joe is in the living room. Mike is watching the bike race. Hope you're doing well...and not going deaf from too many fireworks! Hugs, Kelly Parker
ReplyDeleteLOVE THIS!!!!!
ReplyDeletethe nose picking was my fav i think.
also, i think you'd be surprised at how many kindergarten teachers could relate to your experience as an ESL teacher in Taiwan :) lots of similarities for sure!
What a great experiance you are having! One adventure after another! This is my first comment, but I just want you to know I love readying your blog. What did you do in June? Hint Hint... ; )
ReplyDelete