Monday, December 14, 2009

The last few weeks

Sorry it has taken me so long to get some pictures up. Alot has happened in the past couple of months. These pics are not in order, but I think it will give you a good idea as to what we have been up to. PLEASE comment. I love to read what you have to say.


I would like to introduce you to Ruby. She is my new little red scooter. This is what I look like driving around these days. Like the mask? No, I am not robbing a bank, just trying to keep my lungs clear of the lovely Kaohsiung pollution. Don't worry - I am really safe on this thing.
Ha! I have no words, only giggles........
Ben took this picture on Cigin Island - a little island off the coast of Kaohsiung. Very beautiful and typically Chinese. These were outside the only government protected temple in the country.
Jess is here!! Another friend from Point Loma, Jess Stanphil, has moved to Taipei to teach English. She came down to visit for Thanksgiving weekend. Me, Sandra, Jess, and Anna at the lookout over the coast.
I took this picture with my iphone during the day, obviously, but the colors turned out kinda cool.
Awww, so cute.
View from the lighthouse on Cigin Island.
I WANT A PUPPY!!!!!!!!!! To be honest, I think this one wants me too. We named him Buster - Ben added Buster Brown. Too bad I had to leave him at the store.
This was my attempt at pecan pie for Thanksgiving. The crust was a bit iffy, but the filling was great!
Notice the "No smoking or beetle nuts". A lovely Taiwanese version of dip or chewing tobacco. We just thought it comical that it made it to the restricted sign at the movie theater.
Our Thanksgiving spread. It is a great feat to make an entire dinner in a toaster oven the size of an easy bake oven, but I did it. We had a great time. Food, friends, movies. It was a good day. I would like to give a shout out to Ben's excellent mashed potato skills and Costco's excellent pumpkin pie.
Pre-dinner snacks anyone? Can I just say, this is the best pumpkin bread I have ever made!! Oh yum, it was delicious.
Our table. Thanks mom for sending the decorative dinner wear. Notice the microwave on the left and the easy bake oven on the right. That is all that was used to make dinner.
Land ho!
How beautiful/HUGE is this tree? It reminded us of the tree in Balboa Park. Oh how I miss you San Diego!
Ben playing some tunes on his new guitar before purchasing the lovely instrument.
Ben's new ride. Unfortunately, it has to stay parked in the Kaohsiung National Science and Technology Museum.
A confused morning coffee out by Cheng Ching Lake.
Good morning!
These little guys were outside the Film Archive during a "super hero" film festival.
Hmmmm, I think you should save the world first, then do the dishes.
What is this? Who are you? I am so confused.....
Spidey to the rescue!
Ben's favorite.......which Ninja Turtle are you?
Hey, hey!


Finally - what you all have been waiting for.......pictures of my students! These are a bunch that we took during the Halloween festivities.
Back row left to right: Alex, Danny, Mike, Kevin, Daniel The two girls in the front: Debby and Gemma
This are my older kids. A fun bunch of 11 year old girls and one boy. We have so much fun! L to R : April, Sarah, Kim, JJ, and Nikey. Yes, Nikey chose to wear a mustache on Halloween! So funny!
My youngest group with my Chinese coordinator, Irene. This is probably my favorite and most challenging class. Back L to R: Irene, Peter, Vincent, Albert, Vivi, me Front L to R: Hanson, Edward, Kevin, Candy, and Daniel.
My little kids again. Daniel (the pumpkin) cracks me up in this picture.
Peter got carried away with the stickers. Notice me trying to call him back.
Candy, Vivi, Hanson, and Edward.
Where do you go trick or treating in Taiwan? To 7 eleven of course! That is Veta, my school's director, in the background.
All of the staff. I am behind the blue Tetris piece. My friend Shannon is the yellow piece. Not sure if you can see everyone, but Back L to R: Brian, Evan, Clark, Caleb Front L to R: Chad, April, Veta, Nicole, Irene, (Shannon and I), and Keith.
The lobby of the school during Halloween. They really go all out!
Another class. Too jumbled to give all their names, but please notice Colin (Superman) on the floor.
L to R: James, Ariel, Claire, Crystal, Flora, Karen, Pearl, Armani, Hank. We played pin the face on the jack-o-lantern.

I wanted to throw this picture in because I find it halarious. This is my old co-worker Stu on a billboard. One time the school was having some event and they took his picture with his class. Then a couple weeks later, he found his face on several billboards throughout the city. He has left Kaohsiung and gone back to Canada, but his face lives on in our hearts as well as our city streets.


That is all for now. More to come after Christmas. I hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas season. I miss everyone very much and wish more than anything I could be with you. Appreciate your family and friends this Christmas. We all should appreciate those we love all the time. Thanks for reading. Leave a comment if you like!

4 comments:

  1. Ben,
    I like to see what you do over there. What do you teach the children? How far do you live from the schoo? How many hours a day do you work?
    Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. HULLO FRIENDS!!! Gosh your lives look so exciting. And Court, your hair looks so long! I love it! Anyway, that is all. I miss you guys and I hope I'll be able to visit soon!! Love you, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas!
    We have really enjoyed reading your blog and looking at your pictures. We hope you have a good holiday. You are welcome back to Switzerland any time!
    Susan and Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all of the pictures! We love seeing them. We hope your Christmas was warm and fuzzy and we hope your New Year is bright and shiny!
    Robin and Avery

    ReplyDelete