Monday, January 18, 2010

Adventures in Tainan and some other fun stuff

Another adventure! Ben and I traveled and hour north to Tainan. It is the old capital city of Taiwan and exudes cultural and historical identity. It is a beautiful place that seems a bit more "homey" and small town than our huge city of Kaohsiung. Enjoy!



ARRRRRGGGGG!!!!! I got to pose with the rein-actors at the Eternal Golden Fortress. Pretty sure the soldiers here were never actually in battle and ironically the "Eternal Fortress" was only in use for 2 years, but it was fun to walk through!


Ben's journey into the unknown........actually this is the entrance to the Eternal Fortress. Looks kinda cool, no big deal.

Tainan has a really cool arts district. There are murals painted on the side of old buildings and the art is done by local artists. A different side of the Taiwanese people we hadn't experienced yet. Very cool.

More art.

hmmm.......
The next few pictures are part of The Blueprint. It is part of the arts district. A local artist painted the side of an old abandoned building as if it was the blueprint of the house that was once in existence.







On to the Chinkan Tower. Originally built by the Dutch when they colonized Taiwan. There are only a few half walls left of the original structure. The tower that tourists walk through now was built by the Japanese in the '40s when they occupied Taiwan.
Hellooo!!!
The tower from the front.
I guess all you need for a "tower" in Taiwan is more than one level.


A bridge in the gardens surrounding the Koxinga Shrine. He was the first Chinese leader of Taiwan (then a Chinese state) after China took over control of the island from the Dutch. He lost a battle, was really bummed out, and him and his 5 concubines killed themselves to "save their honor". Then the Taiwanese built a shrine and a garden. Nice.
Ben in front of the Confucious Temple.
Leave your hopes and dreams for the new year here.

Back in Kaohsiung, we saw this man. No explanation needed. Betchya' can't do that!
My cafe latte at the cutest coffee shop in Taiwan.
Sandra got a bike!! Woot Woot!
Awwwww, aren't they cute?!
Ben and I found a Japanese store at the mall in Kaohsiung. They sell everything from shoes to housewares........and the most fantastic bean bag chairs you have ever sat in!
Ben and I on Christmas day.
Jenga anyone?!
Sandra and the record setting 32 levels.

Lots of Jenga fun!


Ben and I with the owners of our school. We work for KNS - this is Sophia and Kevin (Kevin 'N Sophia)

This is my new friend Korrie. Both of us dressed up at the KNS Christmas party.
These are all the teachers from my branch of KNS. KNS 1!! The original!!
Anna and Sandra were our dates for the evening.

This is my coordinator, Irene. She basically does all the "hard" work, I just do the actual teaching.
This is Veta, the director of my school.
Veta and the other directors doing a choreographed dance to "Nobody" a VERY popular Taiwanese pop song.

Christmas was great, New Year's was fun, and Chinese New Year will be an experience. Thanks for all your love and support through the holidays!!! Leave a comment about our latest experiences. We love to hear from you!!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. loved the joe dirt reference- fyi. and exudes? wow! good word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cutest coffee EVER! how did they DO THAT btw?!!

    you look really skinny court in all those christmas photos! good for you!!

    why don't you BUY one of those amazing bean bag chairs?! how fun!!

    love you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just now getting to read/look at this post. court you look so beautiful and happy! Love all the adventure pictures. hope you're still enjoying things.... love to you and ben from ian, maddy and me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pictures !!!!!!! Looks like you all are having a blast as well as adding to the knowledge of the locals. And they're adding to yours, so a great trade !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look so happy. that makes me happy : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. a little late in the game, as usual i might add, but oh so happy to finally be a bit caught up on your amazing lives. you both look so happy and everything you do look so exciting and fun. miss you and love you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jenga and I love you Court and I am sure I would love you too Ben if I knew you more than seeing you through the computer once. I send greetings from our Nation's capitol. Obama says what up - although he has been really busy lately, he manages to make time for our weekly coffee date. Stay cool and have a great summer ( remember how that is all people would write in your year books...oh good times). Love, Your friend Raleigh

    ReplyDelete