Nothing like ice cream in winter! So good and fresh - straight from the dairy farm.Sunday, February 13, 2011
Home and Back Again.
Going back to the states was a whirlwind of family, festivities, and cultural shock. I was a bit overwhelmed to hear so many conversations I understood, watch commercials that I recognized and drive through cities with so much space. It is amazing how quickly your immediate environment becomes normal and how the environment you grew up in seems foreign and uncomfortable. This trip home was a rare opportunity to view my culture as somewhat of an outsider and foreigner. It was nice to be home for a moment in time and be apart of my family's lives again. Two weeks full of holiday celebrations, hockey games, and tons of food that culminated in a new baby being brought into the world.
View of the east coast of Taiwan from the air.
My family's smiling, familiar faces welcomed me home and into our cozy kitchen!
How gorgeous is our Christmas tree? Check out the light up present. Hard to miss.
Lucky enough to get to go to 2 Stars games while I was home. This is one of dad's and my favorite past times from my childhood. Good times, even when the Stars lose.
Christmas morning! - A new bookshelf for GranMary!
How cute is my grandma?!
I got to spend a day celebrating with the Thayer family as well. Played with the dog, ate amazing 29? ingredient chili, and caught up with the Thayers.
Lauren, Ben, and Emily out in the backyard.
Ben is just a little excited about being home for the holidays.
Day with the Thayers ended in another fantastic trip to the AA Center to watch the Stars. Stars couldn't pull out the win this night either, but still fun to watch.
Aunt Judy, Debbie, Tom, Lauren, and Emily having a great time watching the Stars lose.
Don't ever take a gorgeous sunset sky for granted.
My parents in front of the house at Lake Kiowa. A few weeks later all this was covered in snow.
I flew to Kelli and Jonathan's house in Ohio after Christmas to spend some time with them while awaiting the birth of their first child. We spent New Year's walking around the neighborhood taking in all the fireworks and trying to talk the baby into coming out soon.
Nothing like ice cream in winter! So good and fresh - straight from the dairy farm.
Kelli getting a kick out of Jonathan's confidence in his card playing "strategy".
Steph flew out from Virginia to Ohio to visit me (and everyone else). This is the gorgeous blanket she made me for Christmas. Samson loves it too.
Mom, Dad, and GranMary flew out to Ohio after the new year to be there for the baby's birth. We definitely had to make one stop at Cracker Barrel to try on hats....and get food.
Kelli's last meal of pizza and salad before going into the hospital.
She finally arrives!! Evelynn Kay Odom - January 6th, 2011. Welcome to the world, kiddo!
The first picture taken of baby Evie. Jonathan snapped this right after she was born.
Daddy with baby Evie.
I'm an AUNT!!
Mom and the first born.
GranMary (Mary Evelyn Smith) with her namesake.
Steph was right there all along the way.
She is so beautiful! I'm not sure if you can tell here, but Evie's hair is very red. I hope it stays.
Nothing like ice cream in winter! So good and fresh - straight from the dairy farm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just figured out how to post a comment. Yay! (I know! It's taken a while! But "better late than never-right?) Love these pictures because they bring you home. (And all the others because they bring me to you.)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for making the trip.
I'm so proud & happy for you in so many ways.
Love & miss you. ((((((((((((((((((((Courtney))))))))))))))))))))))))
Yo Mama
These pictures make me so happy for you! (and Kelli) I love getting a glimpse of what you are up to. I miss you tons Court!
ReplyDeleteYay!! I made the blog! and 2 months later I'm aware of that :) postpartem is like a butterfly coming out of a cocoon. i enjoyed these photos and the ones you took and posted from halloween to christmas. so fun!!
ReplyDelete