-Let me just start by saying, don't ever judge our shiny and sometimes sweat soaked faces. It is so humid here. I can't even begin to tell you. So just pretend we have the "Taiwan glow" and everything will be beautiful.
-The first night we were here, we went with our other friends (Anna, Sandra, Danielle, and Anthony) to a night market here in Kaohsiung City. Basically its a huge farmer's market, but at night and in the middle of the city buildings. We were definitely attracting attention by our so obviously American looks and a couple of little Taiwanese girls actually took a picture with us. Another man asked where we are from and when Ben told him Texas, the Taiwanese man proceeded to do his best impression of a country twang while saying, "I'm an American!". Oh good times
-I just want to give a quick shout out to Danielle and Anthony. We would be SO lost if not for them. They did an amazing job getting the apartment together and cooking for us while we have been in limbo. Thanks you guys, for everything!
-You know when you go to a furniture store and you sit on a display thinking that there is a mattress under the comfy, fluffy comforter, but actually it is a huge board that is merely demonstrating the size of the bed? Well, that is what my bed feels like. A giant flat board. I bought a mattress pad and all is well, but interestingly enough, I found this tag on the mattress while making up my bed:
If you are having trouble reading it, it says, "Super-hard mattress suitable for the eastern people". Seriously, enough said.
-Between interviewing and job searching, we have been spending a lot of time shopping and getting settled. Don't worry, there is an Ikea out here so I was able to make my room really cute and homey (that's for you Steph). But probably the most fun and scariest part of the moving in process is realizing that we must get a scooter. It is nearly impossible to get around the city without one, especially because we do not live near a train station. This has been great fun for Ben, but an unerving experience for me. Ben learned in a day and is a pro. He is a great driver, very smooth. I, on the other hand, (as Ben would say) seem to be a little "spacially unaware". I tend to cut people off and get a little shaky when having to make turns, especially with people next to me. I am slowly getting used to it so we'll see.........
HERE WE GO!!
hello this is emily and mom, we love the action shots :))))!!!
ReplyDeleteSo what's the interviewing like? I thought you already had jobs - or is this just to see where you'll be assigned? How far are you from the Port piers? That's where my ships always were located. I was first there in July '66 on a Destroyer Escort, then again in October '73 and Feb '75 on my Annunition Ship.
ReplyDeleteCorrection - that's Ammunition Ship above. It won't let me edit my post.
ReplyDeletehey guys,
ReplyDeletei want you to know that i wrote this comment on your blog like a week ago...it was long and VERY funny (i might add) HOWEVER my dumb computer ran out of batteries (operator error, i LOVE my computer) and when i plugged it in i lost what i had written.
i made LOTS of comments i hope i have time to re-invent one day. in short, this last blog about your arrival and time in taiwan is by far my fav. i was laughing out loud (by myself, fyi). i still tell people about the mattress tag.
i would love to see more videos in the future. that was super fun!
love y'all so so so so much!